ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

11 highly anticipated movie sequels that never happened — and why

Taylor Swift once sang that ā€œthe greatest films of all time were never madeā€ — and these canceled sequels might prove her point.

11 highly anticipated movie sequels that never happened — and why

Taylor Swift once sang that ā€œthe greatest films of all time were never madeā€ — and these canceled sequels might prove her point.

By Brianna Zigler

August 19, 2026 2:39 p.m. ET

Leave a Comment

Will Ferrell in 'Elf;' Leonardo DiCaprio in 'The Departed;' Tobey Maguire in 'Spider-Man 3'

Will Ferrell in ā€˜Elf’; Leonardo DiCaprio in ā€˜The Departed’; Tobey Maguire in ā€˜Spider-Man 3’. Credit:

Hollywood loves a sure thing, which is why the movie landscape is littered with unnecessary sequels to critical and commercial hits. But development is a long process, and sometimes even the most promising sequels find themselves lost to the sands of time.

Sometimes, as in the case of the 2003 holiday classic *Elf*, the filmmakers ultimately decided they had told the story they wanted to tell. But even franchises with plenty of gas still left in the tank — like Sam Raimi’s *Spider-Man** *series — can hit roadblocks that lead to an entire reboot.

Below, ** digs into 11 sequels that never came to be — and what caused them to crash and burn.

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald in 'The Breakfast Club'

Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald in ā€˜The Breakfast Club’. Everett Collection

Anthony Michael Hall, a frequent collaborator of the late filmmaker John Hughes, appeared on *The Rich Eisen Show* in August 2026 and dropped a huge bombshell: The late director had an idea for a sequel to *The Breakfast Club*, the 1985 teen classic he wrote and directed.

ā€œYou know what’s crazy?ā€ Hall began. ā€œThe last time I spoke to Mr. Hughes, Rich, he called me with John Candy on the phone, and it was about 1988, and we just hung out on the phone for a couple hours, and he talked about it at that time.ā€

Hall said Hughes had been considering ā€œthe idea of bringing back *The Breakfast Club*.ā€

He elaborated, ā€œLike, those five characters reunited somehow later in their life, and they’re in the workforce and they’re in their 30s. I mean, it’s a long time ago. So I think that it was something he was playing with. I don’t know if he had written it or not.ā€

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Larisa Oleynik and Julia Stiles in '10 Things I Hate About You'

ā€˜10 Things I Hate About You’.

Touchstone Pictures/ Courtesy Everett

In the early 2010s, production was well underway on a follow-up to the ā€˜90s teen rom-com *10 Things I Hate About You*, itself an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s *The Taming of the Shrew. *While not a direct sequel, *10 Things I Hate About Life* was planned as a ā€œstory that advances the situationsā€ of the original film, per *Variety*. Hayley Atwell was initially attached to star before being replaced by Evan Rachel Wood.

ā€œIt is the story of two relatable, ordinary people with normal jobs and normal desires whose seemingly great lives have become unmanageable,ā€ director Gil Junger told *Variety* in 2012 (via Collider). ā€œTwo people who go to the same place at the same time to end it. … Their chance meeting is so awkward, so raw, and so funny, they postpone their intentions and go their separate ways.ā€

Production halted in early 2013, and that November, it was announced that filming would recommence in December with a planned wrap in April 2014. But none of that came to pass. In June 2014, the producers sued Wood for more than $30 million, alleging that she had refused to return to the film. Wood’s reps called the lawsuit ā€œpreposterous.ā€ The lawsuit appears to have fizzled out without a publicly reported judgment or settlement, and the film was never completed.

Still, another *10 Things I Hate About You* follow-up may happen. In May 2025, Junger revealed that he was developing *10 Things I Hate About Dating*, intended as the first installment in a new trilogy. ā€œ*10 Things I Hate About Dating* is definitively in the works as a feature film. We’re developing it right now,ā€ Junger told PEOPLE. If all goes according to plan, it would be followed by *10 Things I Hate About Marriage* and *10 Things I Hate About Kids. *

World War Z (2013)

Brad Pitt, Sterling Jerins, and Mireille Enos in 'World War Z'

Brad Pitt, Sterling Jerins, and Mireille Enos in ā€˜World War Z’.

Jaap Buitendijk/Paramount Pictures/courtesy Everett Collection

While a sequel was in the works for Marc Forster’s 2013 zombie action film *World War Z *starring Brad Pitt, the film was halted indefinitely in 2019. It was originally planned with *The Orphanage* director J.A. Bayona at the helm, but David Fincher was brought on in 2017 after Bayona departed the year prior.

In 2023, Fincher opened up to *GQ *UK about what he envisioned for the project — and it sounded like a hugely popular HBO series that premiered that same year. ā€œWell, it was a little like *The Last of Us*,ā€ Fincher said. ā€œI’m glad that we didn’t do what we were doing, because *The Last of Us *has a lot more real estate to explore the same stuff.ā€

He added, ā€œIn our title sequence, we were going to use the little parasite… they used it in their title sequence, and in that wonderful opening with the Dick Cavett, David Frost-style talk show.ā€

That same year, *World War Z* costar Mireille Enos said she was still eager for a sequel. Speaking about the abandoned follow-up with *TheWrap**,* she said, ā€œThe script for the second movie was great. I wish the world could get to see it. We got really close to making a sequel. At one point David Fincher was signed on there was a completed script which was excellent and then one thing and another you know [and it never got made]. But never say never. I still think it would be great.ā€

Enos’ optimism may have been warranted: In April 2026, Paramount announced that a new *World War Z* movie was officially in development, though it remains unclear whether Pitt, Fincher, or any elements of the abandoned sequel will be involved.

Fantastic Four (2015)

Kate Mara and Miles Teller in 'Fantastic Four'

Kate Mara and Miles Teller in ā€˜Fantastic Four’.

Alan Markfield/FOX

Slated before the first film’s release to open in June 2017, a sequel to Josh Trank’s *Fantastic Four *was effectively doomed once the 2015 reboot hit theaters. The film, starring Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, and Jamie Bell, was a disaster, plagued by months of behind-the-scenes reports about clashes between Trank and Fox. It earned scathing reviews across the board and bombed at the box office.

Trank had envisioned the first *Fantastic Four* as the setup for a very different sequel. He explained his vision in a 2020 profile for *Polygon*. ā€œThe end of the *Fantastic Four* was going to very organically set up the adventure and the weirdness and the fun,ā€ he explained. ā€œThat would be the wish fulfillment of the sequel. Because obviously, the sequel would be, ā€˜OK, now we are [superpowered] forever and it’s weird and funny and there’s adventure lurking around every corner.’ But the first movie was going to basically be the filmic version of how I saw myself all the time: the metaphor of these characters crawling out of hell.ā€

Of course, that sequel never happened, and the vitriol Trank received following the movie’s release scarred him deeply. In that same profile, coinciding with the release of his follow-up film, *Capone,* Trank reflected, ā€œI had been exposed to a permanent version of reality where I had no reason to live because there was nothing that I desired. I didn’t want to be a big filmmaker anymore. That’s all I ever wanted. I didn’t know what I was anymore.ā€

The Departed (2006)

Leonardo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson in 'The Departed'

Leonardo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson in ā€˜The Departed’.

Warner Bros./courtesy Everett Collection

Though *Infernal Affairs,* the Hong Kong film that inspired *The Departed*, is part of a trilogy, Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-winning remake never received a sequel — though one was discussed. In fact, Warner Bros. was so interested in turning *The Departed* into a franchise that Scorsese later claimed the studio wanted him to spare one of the film’s doomed leads.

In 2011, screenwriter William Monahan spoke with /Film about his idea for a sequel, which he said would be set ā€œbefore, during, and after the action of the first film.ā€ Mark Wahlberg, who costarred as Sean Dignam, was also keen on the project, which would have reportedly featured Robert De Niro and Brad Pitt.

*The Departed* producer Roy Lee spoke about Monahan’s sequel idea with *Collider* in 2016, but said ā€œit would be so expensive and Scorsese didn’t want to do a sequel.ā€

That same year, *Deadline* reported that a series inspired by *The Departed* was being developed at Amazon. It would have been set in Chicago, per the outlet, and follow a young cop who goes undercover in a Latino gang while the gang plants its own mole in the police department. However, there have been no significant updates on the project since its announcement.

ā€˜The Breakfast Club’ cast: See Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, and their costars more than 40 years after detention ended

Judd Nelson as John Bender, Emilio Estevez as Andrew Clark, Ally Sheedy as Allison Reynolds, Molly Ringwald as Claire Standish, and Anthony Michael Hall as Brian Johnson in 'The Breakfast Club'

12 stars who skipped sequels to their hit movies — and why

Rachel Weisz as Evelyn Carnahan in 'The Mummy'; Will Smith as Steven Hiller in 'Independence Day'; Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg in 'The Social Network'

Elf (2003)

Will Ferrell in 'Elf'

Will Ferrell in ā€˜Elf’. Everett Collection

In 2021, *Elf *star Will Ferrell spoke to *The Hollywood Reporter* about why the holiday comedy never got a sequel, despite having a script ready to go.

Ferrell said that, despite being offered a hefty $29 million payday to don his yellow tights a second time, he wasn’t invested in the story, which *THR* described as having a ā€œrehashed premise.ā€

ā€œI would have had to promote the movie from an honest place, which would’ve been, like, ā€˜Oh no, it’s not good. I just couldn’t turn down that much money,ā€™ā€ he said. ā€œAnd I thought, ā€˜Can I actually say those words? I don’t think I can, so I guess I can’t do the movie.ā€™ā€

*Elf* director Jon Favreau expressed similar reluctance about a sequel in a 2023 interview with *Variety**. *ā€œI think there’s always room for new Christmas movies,ā€ Favreau said. ā€œThat particular film, I don’t know what story would be told after that. It’s very complete.ā€

James Caan, who costarred in the movie, sang a different tune in 2020. According to the late actor, Ferrell *wanted* to do the movie — he just didn’t want to work with Favreau again.

ā€œThe director and Will didn’t get along very well,ā€ Caan said. ā€œWill wanted to do it, and he didn’t want the director, and [Favreau] had it in his contract. It was one of those things,ā€ he claimed.

Halloween II (2009)

Tyler Mane as Michael Meyers in 'Halloween II'

Tyler Mane as Michael Meyers in ā€˜Halloween II’. Marsha LaMarca/Weinstein Company/Everett

Rob Zombie’s *Halloween* (2007) and *Halloween* *II* (2009) proved divisive, but Dimension Films was nevertheless eager to continue the story with a third film, *Halloween 3D*.

Zombie, however, was finished with the franchise after the second movie, so *My Bloody Valentine 3D* director Patrick Lussier and screenwriter Todd Farmer were brought aboard to develop the follow-up. Preproduction began in 2009, though *Deadline* reported that the studio decided to hit the brakes amid concerns that the project was being rushed.

According to Scout Taylor-Compton, who played Laurie Strode, Zombie was already done with the franchise by the time she and costar Tyler Mane were approached about returning for a third movie. And she wasn’t exactly heartbroken when it failed to materialize, she explained to SYFY Wire in 2019.

ā€œRob wasn’t gonna be part of it. And they pretty much cut funds in half,ā€ she said. ā€œIt was the strangest phone call I’ve ever gotten in my entire life. When I heard that Rob wasn’t gonna be a part of it, I called Tyler [Mane] and I talked to him. And he said that he had gotten the same offer. We were so hesitant on doing it. And we saw the media, all the different directors that they had attached to it and all this stuff.ā€

She continued, ā€œI was indifferent with what I wanted to do; it seemed so unorganized and so up in the air. But then I was like, ā€˜Well if I don’t do [the movie], they’re gonna get someone else to train what I’ve worked so hard on.’ But I’m kinda glad that it didn’t happen, because the way that the offer came in, it was not from loving hands.ā€

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

Tobey Maguire in 'Spider-Man 3'

Tobey Maguire in ā€˜Spider-Man 3’.

Merie W. Wallace/Columbia

After the decidedly mixed bag that was *Spider-Man 3,* Sony scrapped plans for a fourth film in Sam Raimi’s Tobey Maguire-fronted series. Instead, the studio shifted its focus to a reboot set for 2012, which ended up being *The Amazing Spider-Man*, starring Andrew Garfield.

When *Spider-Man 4* was canceled, the project was already deep in development, with storyboards completed and casting underway. But it never made it in front of cameras. Raimi got candid about exactly what went down in an interview with Vulture* *in 2013.

ā€œIt really was the most amicable and undramatic of breakups: It was simply that we had a deadline and I couldn’t get the story to work on a level that I wanted it to work,ā€ Raimi explained. ā€œI was very unhappy with *Spider-Man 3*, and I wanted to make *Spider-Man 4* to end on a very high note, the best *Spider-Man *of them all.ā€

Unfortunately, Raimi ā€œcouldn’t get the script together in time,ā€ which he attributed to his own ā€œfailings.ā€

ā€œI said to Sony, ā€˜I don’t want to make a movie that is less than great, so I think we shouldn’t make this picture. Go ahead with your reboot, which you’ve been planning anyway.’ And [Sony co-chairman] Amy Pascal said, ā€˜Thank you. Thank you for not wasting the studio’s money, and I appreciate your candor.’ So we left on the best of terms, both of us trying to do the best thing for fans, the good name of Spider-Man, and Sony Studios.ā€

In a 2023 conversation on the *Happy Sad Confused* podcast, Anne Hathaway spoke about having been cast as Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in Raimi’s film that never was. ā€œI did not get into costume and did not read a script past the audition sides,ā€ Hathaway explained. ā€œI got the part and, yeah, it just… I think that’s probably more the producers’ story to tell than mine should they ever decide to tell it.ā€

***Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our ******EW Dispatch newsletter******.***

Aliens (1986)

Yaphet Kotto, Sigourney Weaver, Ian Holm in 'Alien'

Yaphet Kotto, Sigourney Weaver, and Ian Holm in ā€˜Alien’.

In 2015, *District 9 *director Neill Blomkamp was revealed to be developing a new film in the *Alien* franchise. A year later, franchise star Sigourney Weaver revealed more details about his movie, which would pick up directly after the second film in the franchise, *Aliens*.

Speaking at the San Diego Comic Con in 2016, Weaver, who was set to reprise her role as Ellen Ripley, explained, ā€œWell, we have a great script. Fox asked us to delay so Ridley Scott could shoot his [second] *Prometheus* movie. That was too bad because we would have already done it by now.ā€

Unfortunately, the sequel with Blomkamp attached never happened. Two years after it was confirmed, it was pronounced dead by Blomkamp himself, in a conversation with *The Verge. *ā€œI think it’s totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point,ā€ he said. ā€œIt’s sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it’s gone now, and the way that it all is — it’s just not going to live.ā€

But perhaps all is not lost for Ripley: Weaver admitted at the 2025 New York Comic Con that she could be interested in returning as Ripley after reading 50 pages of a script written by longtime *Alien* producer Walter Hill. She also revealed that she had met with Disney about potentially reprising the role, though no new Ripley film has been officially announced.

Eastern Promises (2007)

Viggo Mortensen in 'Eastern Promises'

Viggo Mortensen in ā€˜Eastern Promises’.

*Eastern Promises*, David Cronenberg’s gritty gangster thriller starring Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassel as Russian mobsters, almost got a second life. According to *The Playlist**,* *Eastern Promises 2* had its key players attached: Cronenberg directing, Steven Knight writing, and Mortensen and Cassel returning to star. Speaking with the outlet, Cronenberg revealed that Focus Features had pulled the plug.

ā€œWe were supposed to start shooting *Eastern Promises 2* in October,ā€ Cronenberg explained. ā€œ[But] It’s done… If you don’t like it talk to James Schamus at Focus. It was his decision.ā€

*The Playlist* spoke again to Cronenberg about the cancellation four months later, in December, and he further articulated his plans for the unrealized film. ā€œI really wanted to see Nikolai go back to Russia, because one of the things I wanted in the first movie was that you see a bunch of Russians in London but you never see them in Russia,ā€ he said. ā€œIn other words you experience their exile and they are trying to recreate some of Russia within London. In the original screenplay there were some scenes in Russia and I thought it was better if we don’t see that — they long for Russia but we never see that.ā€

He continued, ā€œWe would see Nikolai go to Russia and there would be Russian elements and so on and so on. And Steve Knight wrote a lovely script.ā€

So why did it fall apart? ā€œFocus Features couldn’t agree on a budget, basically,ā€ Cronenberg explained. ā€œI thought it was a very ambitious script and I wanted to do it properly and they really felt the financial restraints of the world in general. It was really a budget disagreement.ā€

Twins (1988)

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito in 'Twins'

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito in ā€˜Twins’.

Universal Pictures/ Everett

In behind-the-scenes footage from a 2025 *Actors on Actors *conversation between Arnold Schwarzenegger and his son Patrick, the latter jokingly pitched the idea of doing a sequel to his dad’s comedy film, *Twins. *During a photo shoot with Schwarzenegger’s onscreen brother, Danny DeVito, Patrick quipped, ā€œThis could be *Triplets*.ā€

However, *Triplets* almost *did* happen — and with Eddie Murphy as the third brother. The project was first announced in 2012, with Murphy positioned as the mismatched brothers’ long-lost third sibling. Almost a decade later, the film seemed even closer to coming to fruition, with *Twins* director Ivan Reitman returning. By that point, Murphy had been swapped out for Tracy Morgan.

But the sequel took a major hit when Reitman died in 2022, and Schwarzenegger later declared the project dead. He told *The Hollywood Reporter* that Reitman’s son, Jason, stopped it from moving forward. ā€œJason Reitman f---ed it up!ā€ he said. ā€œJason Reitman literally stopped the project when his father died.ā€

Original Article on Source

Source: ā€œEW Moviesā€

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.