ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Gianni Infantino critic ‘sacked’ by Fifa after ‘deception’ comments

Gianni Infantino critic ‘sacked’ by Fifa after ‘deception’ comments

Jeremy WilsonMon, August 17, 2026 at 9:08 PM UTC

0

Gianni Infantino appears determined to cling on to his position as Fifa president - Bradley Collyer/PA

One of the most vocal and influential internal critics of Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell off part of the World Cup has left his job at Fifa.

Kevin Lamour, the chief operating officer, is believed to have been sacked, with Fifa staff informed by email of his sudden departure on Tuesday evening by Mattias Grafstrom, the secretary general.

Lamour had said that staff were “deceived” by Infantino regarding what was called the Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) plan, which would have made stakes in the World Cup available for private investment. “It is the project of one person,” said Lamour, who previously also worked with Infantino at Uefa and was widely regarded as his No 3 at Fifa.

Fifa has not confirmed reports that Lamour was sacked, but a spokesperson said: “Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Fifa’s chief operating officer has ended on 17 August 2026. Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”

Lamour was also not at the summit in Morocco when Infantino galvanised support among some senior executives and national federations for his presidency after dropping the FFE plan. “The time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions,” Lamour had said, even suggesting that he could pay with his job. “If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Kevin Lamour realised that his criticism of Infantino and Fifa could result in him losing his job - Joosep Martinson/Uefa via Getty Images

The Fifa staff email praised Lamour’s work in improving relations with a number of stakeholders, but his departure will be interpreted as a clear sign of Infantino’s determination to stay on as president.

Infantino faced a stinging open letter only last week from the presidents and general secretaries of European governing body Uefa, the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf, which represents North, Central America and Caribbean football, demanding a full independent review into the FFE plans.

They have suggested that they are ready to explore organising their own breakaway competitions and their letter was viewed as an opportunity for Infantino, 56, to leave his position with some dignity rather than extend the civil war. These three football federations together represent 143 football nations and cast doubt on whether Infantino would have the numbers if he pushes forward to stand in next March’s presidential election.

Advertisement

Fifa, however, issued a recent statement defending Infantino against what it calls a “concerted and ongoing effort” to undermine him and the world governing body. “Those who do not have the support of Fifa’s member associations should not seek to achieve through allegation, insinuation or misinformation what they cannot achieve through Fifa’s established democratic processes,” it said.

Lamour’s exit also follows the departure of Infantino’s senior adviser, Carlos Cordeiro, who resigned in July.

Lionesses push on with World Cup play-off

Meanwhile, the Lionesses are pushing ahead with plans for their World Cup play-off fixtures despite the uncertainty around a possible boycott of Fifa competitions.

England are due to play Greece in a two-legged qualifier in October, with the winner progressing to a second play-off round against either Ukraine or Slovakia.

The Football Association has confirmed the away fixture on October 9 will take place at the Pankritio Stadium in Heraklion, Crete, while the home fixture will be played at Leicester City’s King Power Stadium on October 13.

The Scottish Football Association has also officially withdrawn its support for Infantino, citing the “lack of transparency” shown over the plan to sell stakes in a World Cup company to private investors.

A number of European FAs – including those in England, the Republic of Ireland and Wales – had already withdrawn letters stating their intention to back Infantino for re-election at next year’s Fifa Congress, and now the SFA has officially joined that group.

Ian Maxwell, the governing body’s chief executive, said on Monday: “The Scottish FA will not be voting for Gianni Infantino. That’s in line with the Uefa position and we’ve maintained that stance throughout.

“When you’re an administrator in football, you shouldn’t be anywhere near the camera anywhere near as often as has been the case. The transparency and the governance needs to change.”

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Sports”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.